Sunday 21 April 2013

Sonicwall Global VPN Client – Unable to manage networking component. Operating system corruption may be preventing installation error.

Whilst recently trying to install the Sonicwall Global VPN Client I encountered the error “Unable to manage networking component. Operating system corruption may be preventing installation” and the installation failed. sonicwall logo

The initial thought was that the firewall and antivirus were affecting the installation so these were disabled. Unfortunately, the installation still failed . After abit of google searching, I came across an article that referred to DNE. For the uninitiated DNE is the acronym for Deterministic Network Enhancer and is often associated with Citrix and Cisco VPNs.

Although, the problem wasn’t related to an installation of Citrix, I found the following fix in a Citrix forum and it worked perfectly for my sonicwall issue. Hopefully it will work for you too.

1. Go to the registry i.e Start > Run > type in regedit.
2. Go to ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\MaxNumFilters’
3. If the value is showing as 8, set it to 14.
4. Reboot and retry the installation.


19 comments:

  1. I was getting the same error. Turns out that I was using the 32-bit installer on a 64-bit system. Needless to say, using the 64-bit installer resolved for me. Must need more coffee...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! Worked for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 64 bit was the problem for me! Downloaded the 64 bit client and it worked like a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This trick did the job for me Win 7 Pro 32 - did not even need to reboot. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! That helped me in a emergency situation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My problem is the opposite. I got the client installed but it doesn't work nor can I remove it because of this error and the fact that this key doesn't exist in the registry.

    Only other option I see at this point is to reformat the stupid thing because I can't find any other fix than this and this one isn't a fix for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy Shizbot Batman, it actually worked! You saved my bacon SupportTech. My Sonicwall Global VPN and Win7 64bit are now bff

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the comments - Really glad it helped you guys out !

    ReplyDelete
  9. My problem is I have a Windows 8 64-bit and gives me the same error when installing the 64-bit client. Access to the registry editor and there isn´t the key to change. What can I do?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unfortunately, we no longer use Sonicwalls so I don't have access to the client for testing. Hopefully, another visitor to this blog will post the solution for 64 bit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic, this fix worked for me. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Check UAC and/or permissions. We had a similar issue with another VPN client that required a permissions change on the destinationd irectory and the executable. Even after the install completed we encountered the issue and it was permissions related.

    You could also check compatability mode and try the install with that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Worked for me without reboot! thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried expanding the number of filters, confirmed it was 64 architecture and the permissions post helped me. If you use Cygwin on your Win7 be careful. I've changed permissions recursively, therefore modifying default permissions. Make a backup of your permissions if you plan on using Cygwin.

    ReplyDelete
  15. None of the sugestions worked for me on Windows 10 and I need the older VPN client as I'm running a TZ170.

    Managed to get this working by installing the latest Dell Client (v4.9.9.1016), close the VPN client after it auto starts, then I installed SonicWALL client (v4.6.4.0114) over the top.

    The Dell clients won't connect to my old TZ170 which is why I over installed the older SonicWALL client, but the older client won't install without doing the above.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Worked for me thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks a lot, this solution worked for us (win 7 32bit)

    ReplyDelete