Monday 1 March 2010

Problem clearing NetBT when repairing a network adapter on Windows XP

You may find that a PC will lose it’s connection to the network and when you try to do a ‘Network Connection Repair’ it will give you an error and produce the message “Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed : Clearing NetBT, For assistance, contact the person who manages your network.”


There may be a number of causes for this problem and therefore, different fixes may have to be applied before the problem is resolved. See the steps below :

Step 1 : Removal of any Malware (if present). This kind of network problem can be caused by malicious software that has infected the computer and made changes to important registry settings. Therefore, the first step is to run full scans with your Anti-virus and Anti-Malware software
Once you are confident that the PC is clear of malicious software move onto the next step.

Step 2 : TCP/IP stack repair method
  • Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.
  • Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog
  • Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset [log_file_name – this can be any name]
Note: the log_file_name needs to be specified, e.g. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Step 3 : WinSock XP Fix
This is a free software utility that has been created to fix this type of problem.
Official description – WinSock XP Fix offers a last resort if your Internet connectivity has been corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries. It can often cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or improper uninstall of firewall applications or other tools that modify the XP network and Winsock settings.”
Download it here


Step 4 : Uninstall and re-install the network drivers
· Make sure you know what network adapter you have on the PC or laptop and have the driver disk handy. If you do not have a driver disk then download the driver from the internet on a different machine and place it on USB drive to transfer to the problem PC.
· Right click My computer, Properties, Hardware tab, Device Manager
· Find network adapters on the list, expand it out to show your current adapter
· Right click the adapter select ‘Uninstall’ and confirm.
· It should now show as a problem item in your Device Manager list
· Go to the file you have on your disk or USB pen drive and re-install the network driver.

Any one of the above fixes should solve the problem.

37 comments:

  1. This is why I keep going to this place. I can't believe I missed so many entries since the last time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One again, your article is very nice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a great blog. I was able to get the information that I had been looking for. Thanks once again!
    powerline adapter

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have learned a lot from your blog. I have been a copywriter and I really loved to see your blog. Well done!
    powerline ethernet

    ReplyDelete
  5. great experience, dude! thanks for this great

    Articles wow... it's very wonderful report.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never imagined how much stuff there was online on this! Thank you for making this all simple to figure out

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting blog. It would be great if you can provide more details about it. Thanks you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey may I reference some of the information from this entry if I provide a link back to your site?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very informative submit, love the way in which you write and I believe that the knowledge helps in a way. I don't usually say this, however I think it is a nice job done. In case you prefer to change links, I might be more than pleased to offer a link back to your site. Hope to hear from you soon. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, admin, I like your blog, but how can I subscribe to the blog itself?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting blog. It would be great if you can provide more details about it. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! I started following your blog about a month ago and I like your honesty. Good example to emulate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually decided to create a short video about this, I would be pleased if you would possibly take a minute to check it and possibly leave a comment about what you think, I left the movie link in the "website" field, hopefully you can access it, thanks greatly

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow this is a great resource.. I’m enjoying it.. good article

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good collection of work & excellent site!

    ReplyDelete
  17. hey friend... i think your site is very interisting for me..... your site give me some important information.. thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow so nice! I like this site.Keep it working every day :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Keep posting stuff like this i really like it, Good job My friend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post, i belive blog posts like this add so much value to the community. Dear admin can I use some of the information from this post if I provide a link back to your site, pls pls? ...10x a lot Catch ya later - Lopera 'Stephen Pierce' Fan

    ReplyDelete
  21. Keep up the amazing work!! I love how you wrote this and I also like the colors here on this site. did you create this yourself or did you outsource it to a coder??

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thats a definitely wonderful article with necessary Data. Thank you for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I searched for this info since a long time. With your website article it will likely be possible to get additional info in a shorter time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like this site. Very practical and very inspirational. Thanks a bunch. It’ll help me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello could I reference some of the content here in this post if I link back to you?

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's so refreshing to find articles like the ones you post on your site. Very informative reading. I will keep you bookmarked. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey can I use some of the content found in this entry if I link back to you?

    ReplyDelete
  28. I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your info is going to be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your support and wishing you all the success.

    ReplyDelete
  29. have really enjoyed reading your blog. Thank you for all your work!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just book marked your blog on Digg and StumbleUpon.I enjoy reading your commentaries.

    ReplyDelete
  31. hey, nice blog...really like it and added to bookmarks. keep up with good work

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanx. Step 2 permitted repair function to complete

    ReplyDelete
  33. cant believe we still have XP machine in service, but this article save me a lot of time. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  34. cant believe we still have XP machines in service, but this article saved me a lot of time fixing one. Thanks

    ReplyDelete